Finishing the poser setup.

Now is time to set the limits for each join. This is done be double clicking on the parameter dial. I try to get as close as possible to the natural movement limits of a joint as possible.

Some special cases: The buttock body part exists only as a puffer part between the hip and the thighs. It don’t represent a real joint, so is should have very close limits. I allow only a few degrees in each direction. The main movement should come from the thigh.

The shoulder can move only about 30 degree upward. Reaching higher is archived by rotating the shoulder forward and twisting the shoulder by 70 to 90 degree backwards.

After that, I create the IK Chains for the legs and the arms in the hierarchy editor. The poser manual explains how to do that. I use different names for the IK chains than the standard Poser figures, so Poser will not automatically enable IK when the figure is loaded. I prefer it that way.

With the joint setup completed, I choose memorize figure from the edit menu and then save the figure to the library.

After closing Poser, I load the geometry file into UVMapper and assign the final material zones. I have not found a way to do that with Wings3d without messing up the grouping. I save the geometry back.

Next I open the cr2 file in MorphManager and also load the geometry file. I make sure that “remove unused Materials on save” is activated in the options and save the cr2 file back without any modifications. This will clean up the material section off the cr2. Without this step, all the material zones we used for setup and are not longer assigned to any faces will still show up in poser.

The picture shows the model with some procedural materials.

One more thing to do: At the moment, the translation dials are visible for each body part. Using them will break the model, so they have to be hidden. Unfortunately, this is not possible from inside poser, so I have to use a text editor.

In the cr2, there is a channel section for each body part. In these section there are the three translation channels:

		translateX xTran
			{
			name xtran
			initValue 0
			hidden 0
			forceLimits 0
			min -100000
			max 100000
			trackingScale 0.001
			keys
				{
				static  0
				k  0  0
				}
			interpStyleLocked 0
			}
		translateY yTran
			{
			name ytran
			initValue 0
			hidden 0
			forceLimits 0
			min -100000
			max 100000
			trackingScale 0.001
			keys
				{
				static  0
				k  0  0
				}
			interpStyleLocked 0
			}
		translateZ zTran
			{
			name ztran
			initValue 0
			hidden 0
			forceLimits 0
			min -100000
			max 100000
			trackingScale 0.001
			keys
				{
				static  0
				k  0  0
				}
			interpStyleLocked 0
			}

For each of these channels the line "hidden 0" needs to be changed to "hidden 1", except for the channels belonging to the body, the hip and the eyes. Now the translation dials are hidden in poser.

It’s a good idea to make a copy of the CR2 in this state and put it away for future use. It can be very useful as a development rig for clothing or even other characters.

With that, the basic poser setup for this figure is finished. In the next part, I will return to Wings3d to make some morphs. I will post it as soon as it is ready.